I made it to Nairobi!
Jambo! Caribou to Kenya (welcome)
I had three flights to make it to Nairobi. The first from Missoula to Minneapolis was uneventful. Then on the flight from Minneapolis to Amsterdam I met a cool character from South Africa. He has spent quite a lot of time in the States and gave me some good advice about Africa. We chatted for much of the flight. Then, in Amsterdam we talked over coffee and cigarettes at 6 in the morning. He showed me pictures of his children (they live in Idaho). So, I may be going to Cape Town if it all works out.
The flight from Amsterdam to Nairobi was pretty good, I finally got to watch The Family Stone. You should see it if you haven't...
Suddenly as we were landing in Nairobi I had several thoughts and questions go through my mind. What if they don't let me get a visa on the spot? What if my baggage isn't there? What if the person isn't there to meet me? What have I gotten myself into?
All those fears turned out to be just fears, not reality. I got my visa quickly and proceeded to baggage claim, where, eventually I found all three of my large suitcases....then I began the cart roll to customs...I saw a lady that had her bag open on the counter and my heart rose to my throat..."If he makes me do that, I will never get out of here" As I approached he asked where I was from and if I was on vacation here. I told him where I was from and what I was doing. He then coached me with, " so you have some supplies that you brought with you?" I said yes...then he asked/said,"are the supplies used or new?" I said both and then quickly added that I had used books and things....He handed back my passport and waved me on through....I didn't even have to take the luggage off of the cart..awesome!
Then I went out the door to arrivals and soon saw my name amongst the many names...I was greeted by Joseph and a volunteer who had just arrived from Manchester, England, Sean. I have to admit it was nice to meet someone else who was going through the same thing as me...we carried on to the hotel(not fancy, but nice enough)Parts of the city seem so modern and Western, it feels surreal still.
First night,so tired, but couldn't sleep...
This morning Sean and I met a nice man at the hotel who took us to a tourist/travel shop. We booked a tour of the city ($50) I highly recommend it. We would not have seen nearly as much of the city if we had tried to walk and taxi on our own. (by the way, you do want to taxi for the most part here, at least in the beginning, and ALWAYS at night)...
After our tour (about 4 hours with tour guide/driver James) we walked a few blocks to find somewhere to eat...well, we found a nice enough place. Then we noticed that at two tables there were single older non-African men surrounded by three or four young African women...interesting...we finished, asked for the check and suddenly there were two seated next to us...we paid. we left...whoever thought I would be propositioned by a woman...hehe!
So now we're at an internet spot...
I'm signing off for now! I made it to Kenya!!!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home